Thursday, August 28, 2008

Arrived At Last!

It's official!

After approximately six hours worth of travel from Evanston to Chicago, Chicago to Denver, Denver to Montrose, one shuttle ride later I have arrived here in Telluride, Colorado. And, perhaps obviously, I couldn't be happier to be here. Honest.

After having visited Colorado once before (in Westcliffe, Colorado) only last Spring, I am pleased to return to the place that I consider the easily the most beautiful state in the United States of America. As aforementioned, I miss all the oxygen that comes along with any other location in our country, but the view is incomparable, along with the festivities that are yet to come.

I have settled into my condominium, located in the center of the small mountain village on Main St. -- luckily, I couldn't be any closer to everywhere I would want to be in this town. It's a great little two-bedroom abode, elegantly decorated in a style that reminds me of a log cabin. And, perhaps unbelievably, I am able to get wireless internet right from the condo. Having this available will make future blogging much easier. I had previously been told that cafes and the local library would be our only option for internet access. I am glad to find that this is untrue.

I don't want to spend all of my time inside, and I am eager to explore the town (and to take pictures!). But, before I come to the close of this quick update, I'll provide a little bit of an anecdote to accompany the preceding information. Here goes.

I exchanged business cards for the first time on this trip while in-transit from Denver to Montrose. As it turns out, I was seated next to a woman who is a patron of the Telluride Film Festival. Her name, Julie Friesen. Ms. Friesen is representing Anderson Friesen Film Appreciation here at Telluride, which is based out of Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

Our discussion revolved around many topics -- as it turns out, she spent most of her summers in college working in and around Chicago for the Malnati family, who own many businesses including the famous Lou Malnati's Pizzeria. Perhaps most significantly, we talked about our respective reasons for attending the festival. She was impressed to hear that I had been selected for the Student Symposium and, in contrast, everything she said to me was something I couldn't believe.

She mentioned she would be attending a private preview screening that is exclusive to patrons, supposedly happening tomorrow (Friday, August 29th). As we exchanged contact information as our 45-passenger plane touched down in Montrose, she mentioned that she would let me know what the "super secret" film is and her opinion of it, as well. If and when the information comes to me, I'll be sure to put it up here.

But, for now, I'm about to grab lunch and walk around for a bit before the Symposium festivities begin at 4:00 P.M. this evening. There are more stories to tell already, but not enough time. I'll save them for the next post.

2 comments:

Z said...

This is the last time you will have time to post until the fest is over. :P
<3

S. B. Prime said...

Untrue! I have defied all the odds!

Custom Search